Are you looking for the best free VPN for torrenting? Look no further! Whether you're a frequent torrent user or just want to ensure your privacy and security while downloading, a VPN is an essential tool. Even though premium VPNs are often more reliable than free ones, some will keep you away from online dangers.
This article will provide you with a list of the top free P2P VPNs, based on factors such as speed, security, and reliability. Find the best free VPN for torrenting and learn how a virtual private network can protect your online activities.
Top 5 Free VPNs for Torrenting
- Proton VPN – the best free P2P VPN with no data cap
- Windscribe – a secure free VPN for torrents
- PrivadoVPN – a good free P2P VPN with a strict no-logs policy
- Hide.me – an easy-to-use free VPN for downloading torrents
- AtlasVPN – a fast and secure free VPN that allows P2P
While comparing multiple VPNs we considered factors such as the ability to P2P file sharing, the number and location of servers, the level of safety features, speed, and data cap that are crucial for torrenting.
What should you look for in a free VPN for torrenting
- Privacy and security. Look for a VPN that offers strong security features, such as strong encryption and a no-log policy, to protect your data and online activities from cyber threats and government surveillance. Those will keep your online activities private.
- Data cap. Many free VPNs have a data cap, meaning you can only use a certain amount of data before paying for a subscription. This can be frustrating if you use torrents frequently or want to download large files.
- Brand name. It's a good idea to choose a well-known and reputable VPN brand, as this can indicate the service's quality and reliability.
- Reviews. Reading reviews from other users can give you a good idea of the pros and cons of a VPN and help you make an informed decision.
The best free VPNs for torrenting
There are many free VPN providers in the industry but only a few offers you secure, fast and reliable service without the risk of your personal information getting leaked. Here are the top 5 best free torrenting VPNs:
1. Proton VPN – the best free P2P VPN with no data cap
- Unlimited bandwidth
- No speed limits
- No ads
- Servers based only in 3 countries
- No P2P optimized servers
Proton VPN is a reputable VPN provider that offers a free version with unlimited bandwidth and no data limit. The free version does have some limitations, such as fewer server locations, but it can still be a good option for those who want to use it for torrenting.
Proton VPN is the free best VPN for torrenting (source: Proton VPN application)
This provider is prioritizing your safety and privacy – it offers a strict no-logs policy, secure VPN protocols, and a kill switch that won’t let your information be leaked to anyone. Swiss privacy laws are protecting that your private information and online activity aren’t logged.
The free version has servers in 3 countries – that is more than enough to secure you while torrenting. As Proton VPN values not only your safety but also the smoothness of app performance, there are no data caps or speed limits which is extremely important for downloading torrents.
2. Windscribe – a secure free VPN for torrents
- A kill switch
- P2P-friendly servers
- Easy-to-use app
- 10 GB data limit
- Servers in 10 countries
Windscribe is another VPN provider that offers a powerful free version suitable for P2P downloads. The free version includes the option to connect to servers in 10 different countries which makes it a reliable choice for torrenting.
Windscribe is a safe and easy-to-use P2P VPN provider (source: Windscribe application)
This provider has excellent safety features, such as 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and IP masking. As expected, it has a kill switch to secure you if your connection is lost. These factors are allowing you to feel safe while torrenting.
It allows you to choose from servers based on 3 different continents and most of them are P2P-friendly. As for the speeds, you should be able to download P2P fast and without being throttled.
The free version has limited bandwidth – you have 10 GB of data per month with a free plan when you confirm your email address. That means it does record the amount of data you consume each month.
3. PrivadoVPN – a good free P2P VPN with a strict no-logs policy
- Privacy backed by Swiss laws
- A kill switch
- P2P-friendly traffic
- Slower speed
- Only 12 servers
PrivadoVPN is a good choice for torrenting as it offers great P2P-friendly features. It does not log or monitor the browsing activity of its users, which is an important factor when choosing a VPN for torrenting.
PrivadoVPN has great security features for torrenting (source: PrivadoVPN application)
This provider is based in Switzerland which has strong privacy protection laws to keep your data safe. Thus, as expected, it has a strict no-logs policy and doesn’t keep any records of your activity. To keep you safe torrenting, it has a kill switch which is essential if your connection got disrupted.
In the free version of PrivadoVPN, you can pick one of 12 P2P-friendly servers. This may not sound like a lot, but it is a fair amount that will let you torrent safely. Although the performance can be slower than other free VPN providers, it still offers you decent downloading speeds.
As for bandwidth, it does have a 10 GB data cap per month as some of the other providers, like Windscribe. It is still a lot and can be enough for you to torrent without problems.
4. Hide.me – an easy-to-use free VPN for downloading torrents
- Zero logs policy
- Good speed
- Robust safety features
- Limited data allowance
- Performance could be better
Hide.me is a well-known VPN service that has a range of features that may be suitable for P2P file sharing. It is a reliable service that offers you the strong encryption, a no-logs policy, and a kill switch.
Hide.me is a great and user-friendly free VPN for downloading torrents (source: Hide.me application)
Highly rating your privacy, this provider has robust AES 256-bit encryption, leak protection, and a kill switch as without these features P2P file sharing wouldn’t be secure and private. Unfortunately, the free version doesn’t include more advanced secure protocols, such as OpenVPN.
The free version limits the number of servers you can reach but lets you pick from the ones based in 5 countries. The closer to them you are, the better speed you are going to get while downloading torrents but overall, the speed is almost the same as other free VPN providers offer.
The amount of data you can download per month is 10 GB – which is a generous amount for a free service that keeps you safe online. You can take that into account and plan your downloads accordingly.
5. AtlasVPN – a fast and secure VPN that allows P2P
- Fast WireGuard protocol
- A no-logs policy
- Strong encryption
- Limited bandwidth
- Only 3 server locations
AtlasVPN is a great decision for those who are looking for a fast, safe, and reliable VPN that allows P2P. It has excellent safety features and ensures that your experience even with the free version is a smooth ride.
AtlasVPN – for private and secure torrenting (source: Hide.me application)
As a standard, AtlasVPN offers a no-logs policy, AES encryption, and a kill switch that prevents your data from leaking. In addition, its free version supports the WireGuard protocol that not only secures you but also grants better speed and there are no speed limitations even on the free version.
The free version allows you to pick from servers based in 3 different locations – in the US and the Netherlands. It is less than most of the other providers, but it is a decent amount for a free service.
This provider has a 5 GB bandwidth limit on Windows apps and 2 GB on Android, iOS, and macOS apps. That is a proper amount that will let you get your most wanted downloads in no time.
Methodology: how we tested free torrenting VPNs
We take our job to test VPNs seriously in every case – it is even more important when trying to rank the free ones, as the VPN market offers a lot of services, but only a few of them are reliable and suitable for downloading torrents.
The key area of the tests was your safety and the performance of the apps. Here is a full list that we considered before recommending VPN providers to you:
- Privacy. We made sure that our recommended providers have a strict no-logs policy and a kill switch to protect your data from leaking. We also studied features, like DNS and IP leaking protection which makes the best free P2P VPN worth its name.
- Encryption. There is nothing more important than your safety online, especially while torrenting – that is why we looked only for providers that offer military-grade encryption, like 256-bit, and robust VPN protocols.
- Server network. Often free versions of VPN apps have a limited amount of servers that allow you to connect and change your location. We tried to pick ones that have more than one option for a better quality of your P2P file sharing.
- P2P support. Not all free VPNs are suitable for torrenting – some do not support this online activity. From all the tested ones, we picked only those providers that are P2P-friendly and shouldn’t throttle your internet connection.
- Bandwidth and speed. As usual, most free VPN apps have limitations regarding the data caps and how fast it will perform. Our selected ones have the best conditions for both factors.
How to use a free VPN while torrenting
- Choose a free VPN that meets your needs
- We recommend getting Proton VPN – it has no data caps and is perfect for torrenting
- Download the app and install it on your device
- Pick a P2P-friendly server
- That’s all – now you are torrenting safely!
Tips for using a free VPN for torrenting
A VPN is a useful tool for downloading and sharing large files. Although, besides that, you need to choose a reliable torrenting platform – here are the most common and trustworthy ones:
- The Pirate Bay
Another important note – be aware that some countries have blocked access to these sites. The specific laws and regulations regarding torrenting and file-sharing can vary widely from country to country. Some countries may have more lenient laws, while others may have more strict regulations in place, so you should be familiar with the laws and regulations regarding torrenting and file-sharing in your country before using these services.
As downloading torrents can be a bit risky, a VPN is here for you to ensure your privacy and safety by keeping your information unreachable to any kind of snoopers. Even free VPNs are capable of doing that – it is still a good option for torrenting if you're on a budget or just need occasional access.
While free VPNs can be convenient, it's important to keep in mind that they may not offer the same level of security and privacy as paid options. Keep in mind the potential limitations of a free service, such as speed or bandwidth, which will affect the app’s performance.
Some free VPNs may even sell your data or serve you ads, so it's important to do your research and choose a reputable provider. To save yourself from the trouble, you can try premium services completely for free: some services, like NordVPN or ExpressVPN, offer a 30-day money-back guarantee.
When torrenting, it's important to use a VPN to protect your privacy and security – the free VPN providers we picked are the ones to keep you safe and sound without risks of getting hacked or your information leaked. As there are many different VPNs available, and the best one for you will depend on your specific needs and priorities.
Some factors to consider when choosing a VPN for torrenting might include the VPN's security and privacy features, its speed and performance, and its compatibility with your preferred torrenting platform. As many free VPN providers have limitations, pick the one that meets your specific needs and priorities – we recommend Proton VPN as they have minimum limits on how much and how fast you are going to download P2P files.
Ultimately, it's important to do your research and choose a reputable and reliable option – it’s a good idea to research the reputation and track record of any VPN you're considering using, as some VPNs may have poor privacy policies or may not be reliable.
Frequently asked questions
Using a free VPN for torrenting may not be the best idea as they often come with limitations and risks that can compromise your online security and privacy. With this being said, some providers will offer you service that is almost as good as the premium VPNs.
Free VPNs may work for torrenting, but they often come with limitations and risks that can compromise your online security and privacy. Free VPNs may have slower speeds and limited bandwidth, which can make torrenting frustrating and slow.
Using a free VPN for torrenting may not be safe if you don’t take enough time for researching the best providers, as many free VPNs do not offer strong encryption or a no-log policy to protect your online activities. If you find a reputable provider, the service can secure you from cyber threats that are common when torrenting.