When it comes to music, it’s hard to beat Spotify. Unfortunately, there are still a lot of countries where it’s not available. But you can use a VPN to bypass its geo-restrictions and stream music on it from anywhere in the world.
A Spotify VPN will change your IP address to make it look like you’re physically present in a country where the app is available. In addition to that, it’ll encrypt your online traffic, making it nearly impossible for the platform to know you’re using a VPN.
Next time you go on a vacation and you can’t access Spotify, just get a VPN so you can keep listening to your favorite music. Unblocking the music streaming app with a VPN is an easy process, and it’ll take only a few minutes at most.
How to unblock Spotify with a VPN
- First, decide which VPN you want to get.
- We recommend NordVPN because it has servers in 59 countries and tons of advanced security features.
- Download the VPN on your device.
- Connect to a server where Spotify is available.
- Sign into Spotify and start listening to music you like!
Here are some of the things we took into consideration while looking for the best Spotify VPN:
- Reliability – How reliable and stable the VPN service is.
- Number of servers – How many countries the VPN has servers in.
- Security – What security features the VPN has.
- Speed – How fast the VPN is.
- Price – Whether or not the VPN provides good value for money.
The best Spotify VPNs in 2023
Remember that not every VPN will be able to bypass Spotify’s geo-restrictions. We tested many different services and here are our top candidates:
- NordVPN – Best overall VPN for unblocking Spotify in 2023
- ExpressVPN – Spotify VPN with a minimalist app design
- Surfshark – Best VPN for Spotify that comes with unlimited simultaneous connections
- Private Internet Access – Budget-friendly Spotify VPN
- CyberGhost – Spotify VPN made specifically for streaming platforms
Let’s take a more detailed look at each of these services:
1. NordVPN – Best Spotify VPN In 2023
- Lets you use Spotify from over 59 countries
- Get great audio quality thanks to its NordLynx protocol
- 6 simultaneous connections
- Has RAM-based servers
- No trial version for iOS
With NordVPN, you’ll have no problem accessing Spotify from anywhere in the world. It has 5000+ servers in 59 countries and its NordLynx protocol will ensure that you get the best audio quality when listening to music.
|Number of servers||5000+ in 59 countries|
|Price||Starting from $3.99 per month|
NordVPN provides some of the best security features in the VPN industry. Purchasing any plan will give you features like military-grade encryption, DNS leak protection, a kill switch, and split tunneling.
Use NordVPN to unblock Spotify.
Additionally, having 6 simultaneous connections means you’ll be able to access your Spotify on multiple devices.
You can get NordVPN for $3.99 per month with a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you’re on Android, you can avail a free 7-day trial version.
2. ExpressVPN – Most beginner-friendly VPN for Spotify
- Use Spotify from almost 100 countries
- Has Lightway protocol which provides good audio quality
- Has a minimalist UI on all of its apps
- No trial version
ExpressVPN has servers in 94 countries, making it extremely easy for you to sign up on Spotify if you’re in a region where it’s not available. It uses Lightway protocol to give great speeds and streaming quality and you also get military-grade encryption.
|Location||British Virgin Islands|
|Number of servers||3000+ in 94 countries|
|Price||Starting from $6.67 per month|
It doesn’t have as many security features as NordVPN, but you do get all the basics – a kill switch, split tunneling, and DNS leak protection. If you want to learn more about their differences, we recommend checking out our ExpressVPN vs NordVPN review.
ExpressVPN has tons of servers that are capable of unblocking Spotify.
ExpressVPN has 5 simultaneous connections. Unfortunately, there’s no trial version on any device, but you can take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee you get with your subscription. It’s available for $6.67 per month.
3. Surfshark – VPN you can use with Spotify on unlimited devices
- Consistently fast speeds across any distance
- Unblocks 10 Netflix regions, DAZN, HBO & more
- No-logs policy, AES-256 encryption & RAM-based diskless servers
- Privacy-friendly Birtish Virgin Islands (BVI) juridsiction
- Fire TV app, Smart DNS for Apple TV & gaming consoles
- Responsive & knowledgeable 24/7 live customer support
- More expensive than its rivals
- No Linux general user interface
- No split tunneling on macOS
Surfshark is an affordable alternative to our top 2 Spotify VPNs. It has unlimited simultaneous connections and servers in over 100 countries, so there’s tons of options to choose from when you sign up on Spotify.
|Number of servers||3200+ in 100 countries|
|Price||Starting from $2.49 per month|
It uses WireGuard tunneling protocol, which is similar to NordLynx.
Surfshark is cheap and packed with features, allowing you to easily unblock Spotify.
Our favorite thing about Surfshark is that you can use it on as many devices as you want. And it also has a multitude of security features, so you can rest assured your data will remain safe while you listen to Spotify.
You can get Surfshark for just $2.49 per month with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
4. Private Internet Access – Most affordable VPN to unblock Spotify with
- Has over 10,000 servers in 84 countries for Spotify
- Cheapest Spotify VPN on this list
- Has various customization options
- Located in a 5 Eyes country
Private Internet Access has its server network spread out in 84 countries and it uses WireGuard, making it safe and easy to use Spotify from anywhere in the world.
|Number of servers||10,000+ in 84 countries|
|Price||Starting from $2.03 per month|
It’s geared towards advanced users because it gives a lot of control over some of its settings, but beginners will find it easy to use as well. With your subscription, you get features such as military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and split tunneling.
PIA has a customizable app for both iOS and Android.
You can also get a dedicated IP address for an additional fee. You can get Private Internet Access for $2.03 per month.
5. CyberGhost – Spotify VPN with streaming-optimized servers
- Has servers available in 91 countries for Spotify
- Lets you connect to dedicated servers for streaming
- Cheap VPN with a trial version for every platform
- Not suitable for advanced users
CyberGhost may not be as well known as the other VPNs on this list, but it’s a solid option for beginners who want an affordable service to access Spotify with. It has dedicated servers for certain streaming sites which are updated regularly.
|Number of servers||9700+ in 91 countries|
|Price||Starting from $2.19 per month|
Just like our other top VPNs, CyberGhost uses WireGuard protocol and has servers in 90+ countries. It uses military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection.
CyberGhost has servers that are optimized for streaming sites.
You can buy CyberGhost for $2.19 per month and even get a free trial version on all platforms.
Why do I need a VPN for Spotify?
You need a VPN to use Spotify in countries where it’s not available. There are some other reasons, too. Let’s take a look at them:
- Bypass geo-restrictions – If you live in a country where Spotify doesn’t work, the only way to sign up on it is by using a VPN.
- Get a cheaper subscription – If you live in the USA or the EU, you’ll find that Spotify is much cheaper in other countries like Pakistan and Turkey. You can get it with the help of a VPN.
- Get access to blocked songs – Even if Spotify is available in your country, you may not have access to every song on the platform. With the help of a VPN, you can listen to music that’s blocked in your country.
- Listen to music when traveling – If you create a Spotify account while you’re in the USA, you may not be able to use it if you move to a place where it’s not available later on. To not lose your music, you’ll have to use a VPN.
Can I use a free VPN to unblock Spotify?
Yes, you can use a free VPN to unblock Spotify, but we don’t recommend it. Most free VPNs aren’t safe to use because they often sell their users’ data to advertisers.
Another problem with them is that they have a very limited server network, so you may not always be able to unblock Spotify.
That being said, there are some free VPNs which are worth checking out. AtlasVPN is one such service which has free servers in two countries, the USA and the Netherlands.
AtlasVPN’s app on Android.
Check out our list of best free VPNs if you want to explore more options.
Why is Spotify not working in another country?
Spotify isn’t available in many countries which is why it won’t work for you. It uses your IP address to see where you’re located and if you’re in a region where it’s not available, then you won’t be able to use it.
Even if it is available in your country, there will be certain songs that you won’t be able to play. This is because Spotify doesn’t have the rights to distribute them in every country where it’s available.
If you’ve added these songs to your playlists, they’ll be grayed out and you’ll get a message, saying “This content is not available.”
The error you get on Spotify when you try to play a song that’s not available in your region.
The best way to bypass Spotify’s geo-restrictions is to use a VPN.
Is it legal to use Spotify in countries where it’s blocked?
Yes, it’s completely legal to use Spotify in countries where it’s blocked. If you use a VPN while signing up on the platform, you might have to connect to the same server (or region) every now and then to make sure you don’t get signed out.
There’s no penalty for using a VPN and your account won’t be disabled.
You’ll just automatically get signed out if Spotify notices you’re in a different country than the one you were in when you signed up.
Nobody likes to lose access to their favorite music, especially when they’ve spent so much time curating their playlists. Unfortunately, Spotify is unavailable in many countries.
The best way to keep using it is to get a premium VPN like NordVPN. This VPN has servers in many different countries, allowing you to use or sign up on Spotify from anywhere in the world.
You won’t get banned for using a VPN since it’s not illegal, but Spotify might automatically log you out if it finds out you’re in a different country. The easiest solution is to just use the VPN every now and then while signing into Spotify.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can use a VPN on Spotify. Just choose a server where the music streaming platform is available, and then log in or sign up. After you start using Spotify, feel free to disconnect from the VPN.
We recommend NordVPN because it has over 5000 servers in 59 countries and plenty of security features to make sure you don’t get caught while using it. But even with this service, you’ll have to connect to it every now and then while using Spotify.
To bypass Spotify’s VPN block, log in to the platform after connecting to a VPN server every few days or weeks. This will prevent the music platform from noticing that you’re in a different country.
To get Spotify cheaper with a VPN, all you have to do is connect to a server in a country where its prices are lower (Turkey, for example). Pay using your debit/credit card and start listening to your favorite songs!