AirPods Max. Here’s the name of the latest music product Apple released today. These are “innovative wireless headphones – writes Apple – that enclose the magic of the AirPods in an over-ear design with high fidelity audio”.
The AirPods Max (anticipated for some time, even since January, even if until this morning it was thought they would be called AirPods Studio) is a very high-end product (Available for $549.00) based on the H1 chips (one for each headset) that we have already seen in the AirPods Pro to which they add an adaptive equalizer, active noise cancellation, Transparency mode, and spatial audio. Inside we find a 40 mm dynamic driver with a double neodymium ring magnet designed directly by Apple. The AirPods Max, according to official information, can maintain less than 1% total harmonic distortion across the entire audible range, even at maximum volume.
The adaptive equalizer of the AirPods Max headphones takes advantage of the computational audio managed by the 10 audio cores of the chips, capable of performing 9 billion operations per second to adjust the sound based on the fit and tightness of the ear cushions by measuring, such as AirPods Pro, the audio signal sent to the user and adjusting the mid-low frequencies in real-time.Apple introduces AirPods Max headphones
To manage active noise cancellation, the AirPods Max uses three outward-facing microphones to detect ambient noise, while a microphone inside the cushion monitors the sound reaching the user’s ear. Thanks to computational audio, noise cancellation constantly adapts to wearability and movement in real-time.
Like the AirPods Pro, there is a Transparency mode to simultaneously listen to music and ambient noise, so that everything, including the user’s own voice, has a natural sound while the audio is reproduced with absolute perfection. To switch between active noise cancellation and transparency mode, simply press the noise control button once.
Finally, we also have the spatial audio function which thanks to dynamic monitoring of the head places the sounds practically at any point of the space for contents recorded in 5.1, 7.1, and Dolby Atmos. With the gyroscope and accelerometer on the AirPods Max and iPhone or iPad, spatial audio monitors head and device movements compare data, then remaps the sound field so that it always stays anchored to the device, even when the user moves his head.
The design of the headphones is vaguely retro-inspired. The hallmark is the fabrics that recall the mesh weave. This material is present in particular on the bearings (in memory foam) and on the headband that joins the two pavilions. The pavilions are made of aluminum, are generously sized, and have a very soft profile. The photos presented a few weeks ago had entirely anticipated the style of the AirPods Max.
Other features include:
- Stainless steel structure with telescopic rods
- Semi-articulated aluminum pavilions
- Memory foam pads
- Volume adjustment and song and Siri controls using a digital crown (similar to Apple Watch)
- semi-automatic configuration: they can be configured with a tap and automatically paired with all devices that are logged in to the user’s iCloud account, including iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, Apple Watch and Apple TV
- automatic user identification system thanks to optical and position sensors
- Autonomy audio playback that can be paused simply by removing the headphones or lifting an ear cushion.
- beamforming microphones that exclude external noise and focus only on the user’s voice.
- battery with up to 20 hours of high fidelity audio, talk or movie playback with active noise cancellation and spatial audio enabled
- Soft and slim Smart Case that helps to conserve battery power when not in use
The AirPods Max, available in five colors, (space gray, silver, light blue, green, and pink) can be ordered today and will be available starting Tuesday, December 15. they can be ordered starting today and are available at a price of $549.00 on apple.com and the Apple Store app in the US and over 25 other countries and territories. Shipments of the AirPods Max will begin on Tuesday, December 15.