Whether you use your Windows PC to watch videos, play games, or work, there are precautionary measures you need to take to ensure that your system is secure and your personal data protected. Of all the operating systems available, Windows is known to be the most vulnerable to cyber-attacks. Fortunately, there are several ways you can keep your system secure. Here are five of the best.
The Top 3 Risks that Windows PC Users Face
There are various kinds of security risks that Windows PC users face, so before you safeguard your system its helpful to know what the most common threats are. Here are the top three.
- Malware is a blanket term that describes various types of malicious software designed to infect your computer and make it malfunction. Malware refers to worms, viruses, Trojans, and other malicious software developed by hackers.
- Phishing is a term used to describe falsified emails or messages that entice people to click on links that mislead them to give up their personal and/or financial information to thieves or hackers.
- Ransomware is similar to malware in that its a type of software or code used to infect a system and make it malfunction. The difference between malware and ransomware is that ransomware encrypts and locks up all the data in the system, making it unusable until the user pays a sum of money to the hacker in exchange for the decryption code to unlock it.
5 Ways to Protect Your Windows PC
Now that youre familiar with the top three risks that Windows PC users face, you can take the proper precautions to ensure that your system is secure in 2021.
- Keep Antivirus Software Updated
While Windows comes with built-in antivirus software, there are others you can choose from that offer additional layers of security. No matter which one you choose to use, make sure that its always up-to-date and turned on when you use your computer.
- Enable Firewall Protection
Windows Defender also comes with a firewall that has advanced security features. Its important to keep the firewall turned on as it filters two-way traffic and blocks unauthorized traffic from getting in or out of your device.
- Use a VPN While Browsing the Internet
The best way to stay secure while browsing the internet or making purchases online is to use a VPN service. A Virtual Private Network will hide your physical location by masking your IP address. It also encrypts all data thats sent or received from your computer.
- Avoid Connecting to Public Wi-Fi Hotspots
If you can help it, dont connect to public Wi-Fi hotspots. Theres no way of knowing how secure these connections are, so when you connect to one and browse the internet youre leaving your system vulnerable to a host of cyber-attacks. Instead, connect to your mobiles personal hotspot. If you do need to use a public Wi-Fi hotspot, make sure you browse the internet with a VPN.
- Use a Password Manager
You should always set passwords wherever possible to keep your data secure and the passwords you set should be strong. They should contain a combination of numbers, letters, and symbols, and each password you set should be unique. It can be difficult to keep track of all your passwords on your own, but fortunately, there are many trusted password managers out there that you can use to stay organized and secure.
Follow the five tips above to keep your Windows PC totally secure in 2021.