If you have ever wished to change your virtual location and IP address, thus making yourself untraceable on the internet, a VPN is made for you. It will not only keep your private information safe from third parties but also give you some valuable benefits such as ensuring your online anonymity and accessing geo-restricted content.
It is easier than you think – you only need a reliable VPN app. Most of them are easy to use, and it will take only seconds to make your actual location hidden from any third party.
Let’s answer all questions, find out how that works, and why it is essential for your safety in this article.
How to use a VPN to change location
- Download a trustworthy VPN. One of the best is NordVPN.
- Install the app.
- Open and log in.
- Choose your preferred server or click “Quick connect”.
- Your location has been successfully changed!
Why should you change your location with VPN?
Changing your VPN location and IP address gives you a handful of advantages. Here are the most common ones:
- Accessing geo-restricted content. The most common reason to change your location is to get around streaming services’ restrictions for movies, music, live streams, or even video games. VPN will let you switch countries and find where your favorite show on Netflix or beloved song on Spotify is available in no time.
- Be safe online. Keeping your identity and location safe should be your priority despite your internet surfing habits. Changing your location will ensure that ISP isn’t tracking you and that your sensitive information won’t be leaked to third parties. A VPN can even ensure that your Internet service provider cannot see your browsing history.
- Bypassing censorship. If you happen to be in a country with firewall restrictions that won’t let you access social media platforms or other websites, a VPN will give you the freedom of your online activity. That is especially helpful for journalists or activists working with sensitive information – a government won’t be able to interfere and stop you from doing your job.
- Bypassing firewalls. It is common to face online restrictions while on your work or school network. A virtual private network is a great way to check your social media or watch YouTube on a break.
- Get the best deals. Keener fans of online shopping probably have already noticed that many businesses are changing prices depending on the region. It doesn’t matter if you’re looking for a new item or holiday directions – check the servers available on your VPN and get the lowest prices.
- Fewer targeted ads. Advertisement trackers can use sensitive and personal information such as your location – they see where you are and offers you to visit places or shops that are nearby. It can be annoying and distracting to get targeted ads all over the internet, but you won’t see the same ads repeatedly with VPN services.
How a VPN changes your location
A VPN, or Virtual Private Network, changes your location and IP address by rerouting your internet connection through VPN servers and encrypting your data. Simply put, your information travels back and forth between your device and your picked server of VPN service.
A virtual private network creates an encrypted tunnel between your device and the internet and runs your data only through it. Your location and IP aren’t exposed directly to the internet and cannot be leaked because anyone who wants to track you see the location where VPN servers are at.
While it sounds like a highly complex process, you can imagine a VPN as your secret agent on the internet, who will take and bring the messages but won’t reveal your identity, instead offering his own.
Best VPNs to spoof your location
Explore our comprehensive article on the top VPNs for changing your location. Alternatively, you can quickly access the shortlist below.
1. NordVPN – a leading VPN service for changing your location
NordVPN is one of the leaders in the VPN service market – it offers you plenty of features, affordable prices, and strong tunneling protocols. It has more than 5600 servers in 58 countries, and the number is constantly getting bigger, so you won’t need to worry about any restrictions.
This VPN can offer you a whole package of the most essential and safety-prioritizing features such as Threat Protection, kill switch, Meshnet, and many more. The app is easy to use, you can have multiple devices with one account, and the connection speed will take your experience with VPN to another level.
2. ExpressVPN – a powerful high-speed VPN to keep your location safe
ExpressVPN tops a lot of other VPN services with its speed and safety. It is reliable, offers extras (like kill switch) and split tunneling. This VPN is an excellent choice if you want to change your location to almost anywhere – it has servers in 94 countries.
This VPN is available on many operating systems and devices, and you can use it on five devices at the same time. For easier access to geo-restricted content on any device connected to Wi-Fi, it has a Smart DNS feature called MediaStreamer that will allow you to enjoy your time on the internet like never before.
3. Surfshark – feature-rich VPN to change your IP and location
Surfshark is a highly safe, user-friendly, and fast VPN that should come to mind for anyone searching for a reliable VPN service. It offers a great variety of features oriented toward changing your location not available in other VPN services. It has more than 3200 servers in 99 countries, so you can be sure that you will find the best-suited servers.
Along with security features, like kill switch, IP rotator, or even antivirus, it has some unique features, such as a built-in fake GPS system for Android users. This VPN also provides unlimited devices per account, which will spoof not only your but also your family’s locations.
Why can't I change location with a VPN?
If VPN isn’t changing your location, there is probably some technical issue. Before trying to fix it, make sure you are using a reliable VPN because free ones, in most cases, are weaker and more likely to leak your information. Here are other reasons why it isn’t working correctly:
- Your VPN application is off. Check if your VPN service is on and working properly. It may sound like an easy solution, but this should be your first step when facing any issue.
- Blocked IP address. If a particular IP address has been blocked on a specific website or service, it will suspend your access. Try changing the location on the VPN app.
- Cookies or cache. Sometimes cookies or cache while surfing the internet without a VPN can deny your access with one. Try incognito mode or a different browser, or clean your browser’s cookies and cache.
- Leaking IP address. Try a leak test with an IP address detection tool and verify that your IP is safely hidden.
- VPN is set to your country and city while hiding your IP address. If this is the case, open the application and pick a different country – that should solve the problem.
- Misconfigured settings of VPN service. Look at the VPN settings and ensure that the setup is correct. If you can’t find the issue – contact a VPN service’s support, and they will find the problem.
Other methods to change your location
A VPN is probably the safest but only one of the ways to change your virtual location. An alternative IP address changer tool will also help spoof your location.
From a glance, a Proxy server isn’t that different from a VPN – it offers you a changed location and modified IP. The main difference between a VPN and a Proxy, the latter will mask your IP without encrypting your data, leaving you less safe on the internet. In addition, it works with a single app or website and can’t offer you secured network traffic.
A Tor browser
A Tor browser is best known for keeping you anonymous on the internet. It sends your information through several routers (nods) around the world. As it is a safe option for your privacy, the sending process decreases internet speed significantly.
Smart DNS services
Smart DNS will allow you to watch, listen or play geo-restricted content, but it is not suited for your online safety. While it is an almost ideal tool for watching region-restricted content, it provides only access and won’t hide your IP address.
Is it safe to change your location with a free VPN?
Yes, but it might be dangerous, so better to consider using a premium VPN, such as NordVPN, which is one of the best. Free VPNs are weaker in keeping your information safe and tend to overhype their abilities. Pay attention to the reviews, ratings, and safety features if you are dedicated to finding a reliable and free VPN service. Remember to be cautious – the internet is full of online snoopers. As a VPN should guarantee safe internet surfing, you wouldn’t want to give your sensitive information to unknown services only because they are free.
While trying to find a good and free virtual private network service isn’t impossible, there are still some disadvantages that can be a deal-breaker. Usually, free providers have less capacity and more users than the network can maintain. That can cause slow speed, and you won’t be able to use the service as much as you want.
Don’t forget that most premium VPN services offer discounts if you are paying for a more extended subscription and a 30-day money-back guarantee if you are not completely satisfied.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, changing your IP address is legal. Just keep in mind that VPNs are blocked in some countries, such as Russia or China, which makes changing your IP against government restrictions.
Some websites or ISP can see that you are using a VPN, but they can’t see your actual location and IP address. This information can only be exposed if a VPN leaks your GPS data or DNS address.
Yes, you can change your location on your iPhone using VPNs or GPS-changing software. Another way of doing that is changing your Apple ID’s region, which will let you get geo-restricted apps.