Online gambling, sports betting, and fantasy sports platforms such as DraftKings, FanDuel, Betfair, or PrizePicks have rapidly become popular ways to spend leisure time on the internet. Despite their popularity, in the United States, states like Virginia and New Jersey impose restrictions on these activities. This makes accessing your favorite betting sites a challenge. A robust VPN service becomes essential in such scenarios.
Exploring ways to bypass these regional blocks, especially in the U.S., we've discovered that a VPN is the most effective solution. By spoofing your real IP address with a VPN, you can appear in a region where online gambling is legal, like states with more relaxed laws. This not only grants access but also protects your privacy. VPNs encrypt your internet traffic, masking your online actions and rendering them untraceable.
However, not every VPN can effectively unlock betting sites, particularly in stringent regions like Virginia or New Jersey. That's why we rigorously test and recommend VPNs for online gambling that works, focusing on those with expansive server networks, fast speeds, and advanced security features. These VPNs ensure discreet and seamless betting experiences, even in restricted U.S. states. Continue reading to find a reliable VPN tailored for your needs.
Top 5 best VPNs for online gambling
Here are the top 5 best gambling VPNs we’ve picked after going through tests:
- ExpressVPN – the best VPN for gambling and sports betting in 2024
- NordVPN – top gambling VPN for speedy connections
- Surfshark – affordable online sports betting VPN
- Proton VPN – feature-packed gambling VPN
- CyberGhost – online betting VPN with thousands of servers
How to access online gambling websites with a VPN
- Pick a VPN with an extensive server fleet. We recommend ExpressVPN, now 49% off.
- Download and install the VPN app.
- Connect to a server where gambling isn’t prohibited.
- Open your preferred betting site.
- Start placing bets online anonymously.
If you connect to a reputable VPN and still can’t access a desired gambling website, try reconnecting to another VPN server or switch the tunneling protocol. Otherwise, reach out to your VPN’s customer support team.
Top VPNs for Sports Betting: Unrestricted, Safe Access
Around 26% of the global population enjoys online gambling. Considering the popularity, governmental institutions and ISPs may be vigilantly monitoring betting activities in regions where online gambling is illegal.
Therefore, we picked the best online gambling and betting VPNs ensuring they followed no-logs policies, used top-notch encryption ciphers, offered additional security features, and maintained super-fast connection speeds. Find your VPN for online gambling and betting below:
1. ExpressVPN – Best online gambling VPN overall
- Follows an independently audited no-logs policy
- Includes a tracker blocker
- Maintains excellent connection speeds worldwide
- Some servers provide obfuscation technology
- 30-day risk-free trial
- There’s no free version
ExpressVPN is our top gambling VPN due to unbreakable online security and stable connection speeds. During our tests, we were able to access PrizePicks, PokerStars, FanDuel, DraftKings, Betfair, and other websites effortlessly.
|The British Virgin Islands
|Number of servers
|3000+ servers in 105 countries
|Price starting from
With 3000+ servers in 105 countries, you’ll have a huge catalog of gambling sites to choose from. ExpressVPN also provides you with Stealth servers that are ideal for accessing gambling sites, as they mask the VPN connection itself and allow you to enjoy betting in heavily censored locations. The benefit of the feature is also appreciated by a Redditor artisticLemur6243:
Not less important is the security suite. This VPN uses its proprietary Lightway tunneling protocol for fast and secure speeds. There are two types of encryption ciphers available (AES256 and ChaCha20/Poly1305.) Plus, with the functional kill switch feature, your IP will be protected at all times.
ExpressVPN’s prices start from $6.67/month, and you can use a single subscription on up to 8 devices at once. To test the service, you may use a 7-day free trial via smartphones or use a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Get to know more from our ExpressVPN review.
2. NordVPN - Fastest online gambling VPN
- Has a built-in ad and tracker blocker
- Obfuscates the VPN connection on all devices
- 30-day money-back guarantee with all plans
- No refunds on iTunes or Apple App Store purchases
- Email is required when signing up
NordVPN is the speediest VPN for online betting, as it retains over 90% of the baseline connection speed. When testing, we also found that it can unblock Stake, 888sport, DraftKings, and other top betting sites.
|Number of servers
|5810+ servers in 60 countries
|Price starting from
Thanks to the proprietary NordLynx tunnel and a selection of 5810+ servers in 60 countries in its arsenal, you’ll have a lag-free gambling experience anywhere. Additionally, you can use obfuscated servers and bypass VPN blocks themselves.
NordVPN uses the market-leading AES-256 encryption and follows an independently audited no-logs policy. It also ensures your IP remains protected even if a VPN connection drops, with the kill switch feature. And during our tests, we avoided numerous ads on betting sites thanks to the functional ad blocker.
Just like the Reddit user, OrigamiLifeboat, says, NordVPN is great due to apps for mobiles and affordable pricing. That said, you can install the VPN on all popular devices and have up to 6 connections at once. The prices start from $3.39/month, and there’s also a 30-day money-back guarantee that you can combine with a 7-day free trial (via Android devices only.)
Learn more about the features in our NordVPN review.
3. Surfshark – Gambling VPN with the best price-to-quality ratio
- Has obfuscated servers for bypassing VPN blocks
- Allows unlimited simultaneous connections
- User-friendly applications
- Strict audited no-logs policy
- Pricy monthly subscription
- Apple apps are weaker
Surfshark is an affordable VPN tool for gambling and betting with unlimited simultaneous connections. During our tests, the provider successfully unblocked different gambling sites, like Stake, Bovada, FanDuel, and more.
|Number of servers
|3200+ servers in 100 countries
|Price starting from
Surfshark uses the advanced WireGuard tunneling protocol that provides fast and secure speeds anywhere you are. In case your workplace restricts you from both gambling and VPNs, you can use the Camouflage mode to mask a VPN connection and unblock a desired betting site.
It offers good value for money as you get loads of great features in a single package. For example, it uses AES-256 encryption which is the best on the market, RAM-only servers that ensure complete privacy, and a built-in ad blocker for avoiding adware. It also has a no-log policy and it’s had multiple external audits.
Finally, Surfshark is very cheap compared to ExpressVPN or NordVPN, as its prices start from $1.99/month, and it has both a 30-day money-back guarantee and a 7-day free trial for Android, iOS, and macOS users.
Find out more about the VPN in our detailed Surfshark review.
4. Proton VPN – Betting VPN with versatile security features
- No-logs policy independently audited by Securitum
- Uses WireGuard for fast and secure speeds
- Has a reliable free version
- Up to 10 parallel connections
- Customer support may be slow
- Only 3 server locations with a free plan
|Number of servers
|Price starting from
You can select from . It gives you the option to connect to multiple protocols including WireGuard and OpenVPN. Thanks to its IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leak protection features, your ISP will never know what websites you’re visiting, which is important when you use online gambling sites.
Proton VPN also comes with a feature called NetShield, which protects you from intrusive ads and trackers. What’s more important is that the VPN uses an unbreakable AES encryption and has an independently audited no-logs policy. Plus, it is based in a privacy-friendly jurisdiction – Switzerland, which is why Reddit users like it for gambling.
Proton VPN’s yearly package is available , and there’s also a free version you can use to try the service. An alternative trial method is a 30-day money-back guarantee, which allows you to test the premium version of Proton VPN.
Find out more from our in-depth Proton VPN review.
5. CyberGhost – Gambling VPN with a massive server fleet
- Over 9000 worldwide servers
- Has dedicated servers for streaming, gaming, and torrenting
- Cheap yearly prices
- WireGuard connection issues on macOS devices
- Apple applications need improvement
CyberGhost is a decent gambling VPN for people who travel, as it provides you with 9200+ servers in 91 countries. We tested this VPN and used it to access gambling sites like Bet365, Bovada, and Youwager.
|Number of servers
|9200+ servers in 91 countries
|Price starting from
CyberGhost is available on all devices and it allows up to 7 simultaneous connections, which is enough to protect all your home devices. If you’re worried that these parallel connections will affect your network speed, knowing that this VPN uses the WireGuard tunnel and retains around 80% of the baseline speed should push your worries away.
This VPN follows an independently audited zero-logs policy. It also applies the market-leading AES-256 encryption and protects your IP address from getting exposed at all times with a powerful kill switch feature. More so, an ad blocker will help you avoid adware while making bets.
CyberGhost offers an extended 45-day money-back guarantee and a 24-hour free trial. After testing the service risk-free, you can get the yearly package from $2.11/month.
To learn more about it, explore our CyberGhost review.
6. Private Internet Access – Intuitive VPN for gambling
- Impressive selection of global servers
- Affordable subscriptions
- Works on RAM-only servers
- Located in a 5-Eyes country
- Speeds may be inconsistent
Private Internet Access or PIA is a good gambling VPN for users without prior VPN experience. With it, we could easily unblock betting websites, like Roobet or Bovada.
|Number of servers
|35000+ servers in 84 countries
|Price starting from
|from $2.11 per month
PIA’s AES-256 encryption will make sure your traffic and IP address remain hidden so you can place bets without the site or your ISP finding out. Likewise, its RAM-only servers ensure none of your activity logs stay accessible no longer than until the system reboots.
PIA also uses OpenVPN and WireGuard tunneling protocols to make sure you get the highest degree of protection together with good connection speeds. Additionally, you will find useful features for safe online gambling, such as a kill switch, as well as tracker and ad blockers.
Private Internet Access’s pricest start from $2.11 per month, and there’s also a 30-day money-back guarantee that you can use as a risk-free trial. A single subscription allows unlimited simultaneous connections.
Check our PIA review and get to know more about the features.
Methodology: how we chose gambling VPNs
Here are the things we considered when choosing the best gambling VPNs on this list:
- Trustworthiness – Using a VPN that doesn’t have a reputation of being trustworthy can put your data in jeopardy. We read tons of reviews before deciding on the VPNs you see on this list so you don’t have to.
- Number of features – The VPNs on this list were selected because they provide features that maximize your security. Features such as kill switch protection, top-notch encryption, and advanced protocols are present in all of the VPNs on this list.
- Number of servers – To access gambling sites, it’s important to use a VPN that has as many servers as possible. The VPNs on this list have servers in thousands, so you’ll never have any problem accessing betting sites with them.
- Fast speeds – There’s no point in having hundreds of robust features if your VPN is going to take forever to open sites. The VPNs we tested have fast and stable speeds, so you’ll be able to place bets without worrying about any delays
- Price and good value for money – All of the VPNs on this list cost less than $10/month, come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, and ensure their service fulfills a fair price-to-quality ratio.
Why is online gambling restricted?
Online gambling is a progressive addiction classified as an impulse-control disorder, therefore, regulatory bodies in many countries have either completely banned or partially prohibited online gambling.
Another reason online gambling is illegal is because many gambling companies have been known to engage in money laundering and bank fraud. Back in 2022, the UK Gambling Commission fined 888 UK Limited over £9 million for failing to implement policies that curb money laundering.
Some countries have only partially prohibited gambling because they make a sizable amount of money from it by taxing it. In many countries, though, it’s considered completely illegal. In the UAE, for example, people who are caught gambling online can go to prison for up to two years.
In Australia, the government passed an act to protect its citizens from “the harmful effects of gambling.” It made it illegal for anyone physically present in Australia to participate in online gambling, though sports betting is legal in the country.
Qatar and North Korea are two other countries that have stringent laws against online gambling. In Cyprus, the only type of gambling that’s allowed is sports betting. Any other type of gambling is strictly prohibited.
Is betting and gambling using a VPN legal?
If online gambling is illegal in a country, then it’s prohibited to access it using a VPN, too. Although, in most cases, VPNs are completely legal and safe to use, to sign up for most gambling sites, you would have to provide some personally identifying information such as your ID. This makes it difficult to use a VPN to access gambling sites.
Even if it is illegal, you’ll still be able to access betting sites since the VPN will mask your IP address and hide your traffic. If you are found to be using a VPN to access gambling sites, though, your account could be deleted, and depending on the laws of the country you’re in, you could face a hefty fine or even go to jail. Therefore, we are strongly against you or anyone using a VPN for accessing illegal websites or committing crimes overall.
However, VPNs will spoof your location so it’s very unlikely you’ll run into any problems if you’re using one to access a gambling site while in a country where it’s illegal. Even if there is a data breach, your data will be encrypted so no one will be able to know what sites you’ve been visiting.
Gamble online with ExpressVPN
ExpressVPN is one of the best VPNs that 100% work with popular betting websites. The provider boasts over 3000 servers globally and uses a proprietary tunneling protocol to ensure lightning-fast speeds.
- Fast and stable connection speeds
- Top-notch security features
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Many online gambling companies restrict the usage of VPNs, so we recommend you read their terms and conditions before you start placing bets. If they find out you’re using a VPN, you could have your account permanently terminated. There are some VPNs that will allow you to use gambling sites without being detected.
In many countries, the act of using a VPN itself is a crime. In China, for example, many VPN companies are blocked and there’s no way to use them.
Betting site rules on using a VPN
Different gambling sites have different rules on VPN usage and it’s usually outlined in their terms and conditions. If a site, like Bovada, says residents of countries where gambling is illegal aren’t allowed to use it, but doesn’t explicitly mention the use of a VPN, then you should be able to circumvent any restriction using a VPN.
Bet365’s terms and conditions don’t explicitly say anything about VPNs, but they do mention that “Internet gambling may be illegal in the jurisdiction in which you are located,” so you won’t get into any trouble if you use a VPN to access it.
There are many more betting sites that allow VPN usage, though. Betfair, for example, is a VPN-friendly site that you can use even if you’re in a country where online gambling is prohibited. Sportsbet is even better as it allows cryptocurrency transactions and you don’t have to hand over any personal information
Best online gambling sites worldwide
Over a quarter of the world’s population spends their time betting online. Naturally, there are different gambling sites popular across the globe. Considering the growing number of restrictions on online betting, it may be crucial to find alternative websites where you can make your bets from anywhere using a secure VPN.
See the list of the most popular online gambling sites in the world:
Betting sites that accept VPN
Here are some sites that you can use with a VPN:
- Betfair – Betfair is legal in many countries, so you can easily access it with a VPN. Their servers and data centers are fully secured, so there’s no risk of data breaches and they don’t explicitly ban VPN usage.
- Sportsbet.io – As mentioned above, Sportsbet.io allows cryptocurrency transactions, which when combined with a VPN will boost your security and anonymity. The site doesn’t restrict the usage of VPN.
- Stake – Stake is another gambling site that allows cryptocurrency transactions, offering you the highest degree of security possible. It’s a VPN-friendly site and will not terminate your account if you use a VPN to access it.
Best gambling VPN according to Reddit
Reddit is no doubt one of the top sources where anyone heads to look for answers, and there’s no surprise that online gambling is another topic that’s been discussed. Hence, we went through numerous comments and found that these three VPNs are the ones that Reddit users rely on for online gambling:
- ExpressVPN – Reddit users like using ExpressVPN for gambling due to its reliable performance and that it’s available on both computers and smartphones. There’s been doubt about the price but like the user named “tired-ladida” said, “if it works for gambling that’s ok.”
- NordVPN – Similarly to ExpressVPN, NordVPN ensures high-quality VPN service with stable and fast connection speeds. The Reddit user – OrigamiLifeboat – appreciated its app for mobile devices and budget-friendly prices that start from $3.39/month.
- Proton VPN – The VPN's posture about privacy is one of the key things to pay attention to when searching for a gambling VPN. As a result, Reddit users, like yoloyodo22, like that Proton VPN is based in a privacy-friendly country – Switzerland.
Three risks of using a VPN for gambling
Using a VPN to access gambling sites doesn’t come without its risks. Here are three things you need to keep an eye on:
- Account termination – If you use a gambling site that’s clearly mentioned in its terms and conditions that it doesn’t allow the use of a VPN, you risk getting your account permanently terminated. To prevent this from happening, read the terms and conditions of the site you want to use and make sure it doesn’t explicitly ban the use of a VPN.
- Losing access to your funds – If you manage to access a betting site that clearly states it doesn’t allow VPN usage, you could end up losing access to your money in the future. If they find out you’ve given false information and you’re using a VPN, your account will be frozen and you’ll be locked out of your funds and your winnings.
- Data breaches – No matter how safe any site claims to be, there’s always going to be some risk of it getting hacked. If a data breach occurs, you could end up having your data stolen. Even with a VPN, you won’t always be safe against data breaches, especially if you don’t use advanced security features.
Using a free VPN for online gambling
You can use free VPNs to access gambling sites, but we don’t recommend them at all. Most free VPNs are free because they sell your data to advertisers. They’re not safe to use and they will not protect you against any kind of attack or data breach.
Furthermore, a free VPN lacks a number of advanced security features, which are crucial for keeping your data safe. And most free VPNs will also keep logs of your traffic, which means external parties such as your ISP and government agencies can gain access to them if they want.
All in all, we recommend you use a premium VPN with a free trial or a money-back guarantee instead if you want a free VPN service to gamble online. For example, ExpressVPN has both a 7-day free trial and a 30-day money-back guarantee. This way, you will be able to use a premium VPN risk-free for over a month.
Online gambling is becoming illegal in more and more countries, hence, many users are looking for ways to access betting websites without getting caught. The most reliable way to do so is to use a VPN with robust security features.
Our top pick is ExpressVPN, as it follows an independently audited no-logs policy, uses an unbreakable AES encryption, and has intuitive apps for all popular devices.
However, note that we don’t support VPN usage for accessing gambling sites in regions where it’s illegal. Before you decide to go this way, we recommend you consult with your local legal practitioner.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, it is possible to use a VPN to gamble online. You just have to make sure you use sites that are VPN-friendly, though it’s unlikely for most betting sites to detect your VPN connection since your IP address will be hidden and your data will be encrypted. We recommend using ExpressVPN to access sites like PokerStars and Bet365.
ExpressVPN is the best VPN for online gambling. It uses advanced security features, like AES encryption or a functional kill switch. And you can use it to unblock pretty much any gambling site since its servers are located in almost 100 countries
Yes, you can use a VPN to access DraftKings. It’s illegal in many states in the US but with the help of a VPN, you can spoof your location and access it from anywhere in the world. A VPN will reroute your connection to make it look as if you’re accessing the gambling site from a country where it’s legal.